I have found a silver bullet. I am so excited. This goes way beyond any superfood or miracle diet cure.
Before yesterday, I am embarrassed to say, I have never experienced Green Banana Biomass . Today I am a total convert. Mark my words and you heard it here first – this is a superfood that crosses all the T’s, dots the I’s and is so versatile – you can play with it however you wish.
I was hosting a doTerra Essential Oils class and part of the educational experience that my classes create is to bring in friends and colleagues, so they can show case anything interesting that they are doing – as long as they can add an essential oil to it.
This challenge was taken by my lovely friend and exceptional colleague Rose Chamberlain from The Healthy Tree. She is Brazilian and was amazed that we in the UK know very little about this food – or should I say process. The reaction from the guys attending the class was so strong, I felt I needed to write something to share it with more people.
So – her contribution was Chocolate Biomass Balls – sugar free, gluten free, fat free, prebiotic bundles of sheer indulgence.
This got me researching the banana biomass which is the main ‘carrier’ of these chocolate mousssee indulgences.
First you start with green bananas. The nutritional make up of the green banana is totally different to the yellow, ripe banana. Green bananas are a functional food, which means they have a beneficial effect on the metabolism and a role in the prevention of disease.(1) Green bananas contain a high amount of resistant starch. Resistant starch cannot be digested by the body and remains nutritionally intact after passing through the stomach acid. Because of this as it travels through the digestive tract, it acts like a cleaner. It helps to sweep the gut of toxins and excess hormones. Excess hormones floating around the system can result in many symptoms such as bad skin, bloating, hot flushes and a contributing factor to certain hormonal cancers.
Resistant starch has a low GI and therefore has its benefits in sugar control. It also selectively stimulates the good bacteria in the gut thus acting as a prebiotic, and has been found to lower cholesterol.
The Banana Biomass is low in calories, high in magnesium and potassium and makes you feel fuller for longer so can be used as an integral part of any weight loss programme
The Chocolate Biomass Balls Rose made used 85% raw dark organic chocolate , which is a great anti-oxidant, Xylitol , a natural sugar alternative that does not interfere with insulin levels and cinnamon , also a great blood sugar balancer. She added a few drops of Slim and Sassy doTerra oil for an added metabolic boost.(Read my blog on Slim and Sassy here)
This easy to make base can be used in many desserts or as a substitute cream cheese or double cream. Rose has used the chocolate balls mix and added it to tofu and coconut milk and whizzed up an amazing protein, prebiotic, vegan smoothie!
Here’s how to make Green Banana Biomass.
To make 200g of Green Banana Biomass
- Take 4 green banana’s and slow cook in a ….slow cooker for 3 hours in their skins (8mins in a pressure cooker)
- Blitz the cooked pulp with a little water
- Store in the fridge for 5 days or freeze for up to 6months
- 200g of Green Banana Biomass
- 100g of melted 85% dark chocolate (organic and raw if you prefer)
- 50g Raw Cacao Powder (organic if you prefer)
- 50g Xylitol ( adjust to taste or use what you want as a sweetener – I am trying dates or the Ayuevedic jam Chyawanprash
- 1tbsp Raw coconut oil (organic if you prefer)
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbs coconut milk (organic if you prefer)
- 2 drops of doTerra Slim & Sassy essential oil (you can purchase this oil and others here)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
Rose will soon be selling the Green Banana Biomass – watch this space!
please contact me for more info
2. Antagonistic mechanisms of synbiosis between Lactobacillus plantarum CIF17AN2 and green banana starch in the proximal colon model challenged with Salmonella TyphimuriumOriginal Research Article Anaerobe, Volume 28, August 2014, Pages 44-53
3. 2015 Mar 6;14(1):1679-91. doi: 10.4238/2015.March.6.14.Resistant starch: a functional food that prevents DNA damage and chemical carcinogenesis.